11.24.2011

Giving Thanks

As an adult, Thanksgiving has become my most favorite holiday.  I always appreciated Thanksgiving as a child but it was always in the shadow to Christmas, probably because it did not feature any gifts.  Sad but true.  Now that I have a family of my own, I look forward to spending a day amongst friends and family, truly reflecting on what God has blessed me with this year and all that I am thankful for.  Today I will be present with my children, love my husband affectionately, savor each and every bite, listen attentively, and appreciate all of my loved ones.  I will have time to rush through the day tomorrow, today I will consider it all and be blessed.  

Wishing you and yours a blessed and thankful Thanksgiving!


How gorgeous is this table scape? Will you be the cook today?  Our family shares in the cooking responsibilities and I will be bringing this gorgeous fall salad.  One of my absolute favorites.

Baby Field Greens Fall Salad

Ingredients

1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup walnut halves
2 tablespoons water
8 cups baby field greens
12 slices bacon, crisp fried and crumbled
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup minced shallots
3 cups olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Instructions

Candied Walnuts: Cook the brown sugar in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat until melted.  Add the walnuts and water.  Cook for 10 minutes or until water evaporates, stirring constantly.  Spread walnuts on a sheet pan and let stand to dry.  Store in an airtight container.

Vinaigrette:  Combine the vinegar, syrup, shallots, olive oil, salt and pepper in a jar with a tight fitting lid, shake to mix.  Chill

Salad:  Mix the field greens, bacon, cheese, and walnuts in a large salad bowl.  Drizzle 1/2 of the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.

Note:  This recipe makes a lot and is great for large gatherings.  If you are feeding a smaller family I would suggest halving it.

{image via Pinterest}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...